Editor’s Note: Injury prevention and wellness handouts are an effective (and inexpensive) way to educate and motivate employees to use good work practices and take care of their bodies.
Scroll to the bottom of this post for the free Wellness Handout PDF file.
Rest and Recovery 101
“Sleep is the golden chain that ties health and our bodies together.”
The Importance of Rest and Recovery
Understanding the significance of adequate recovery and sleep time, and the relationship between rest and overall health and well-being is very important. When we don’t get enough sleep, our body goes into a state of stress.
The increased release of stress hormones raises the level of inflammation in the body and causes a rise in blood pressure.
If rest and sleep deficits persist over time, we become more vulnerable to various chronic diseases. Sleep deprivation has been linked to increased risk of obesity, heart disease, cancer, inflammation, and mental disorders.
When our body does not get adequate time for rest and recovery, we can develop a sleep deficit that is very difficult to recover from.
Rest and Recovery Strategies
If you are not getting good rest, here are a few strategies that you should consider:
- Make sure that your bed is big enough and comfortable for you.
- Invest in the best when it comes to your mattress and pillow; you deserve it.
- Keep your bedroom quiet, dark, and on the cool side.
- If at all possible, go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
- Make up for lost sleep with a daytime nap.
- Consider eliminating caffeine after lunch and reducing your overall intake.
- Avoid exercise before bedtime—it’s a stimulant that can make it hard to sleep.
- Alcohol and smoking before bedtime reduces sleep quality.
Think prevention! Prevention is always better than treatment! Getting an adequate amount of rest and recovery is a proactive strategy to live longer and stay well.
Free Wellness Handout – Rest and Recovery 101
Download entire handout archive …
Get our entire archive of injury prevention and wellness handouts completely free of charge. Click here for access.